17 elected to student senate

SGA-RGB

Student Government Association’s senate elections for the 2015-2016 school year concluded Wednesday evening with 17 winners in ten categories.

In total, 14.67 percent of the student body voted, or 897 voters.

“I am thrilled we’ve got a senate now,” said Josh Nudelman, junior SGA president of the 2015-2016 school year.

The largest amount of votes for senators came in the category of student organization, the only category all enrolled students, regardless of class standing or college, could vote for. There were six candidates; three were elected.

“I really appreciate all of the support. I am excited to make a positive difference on campus,” Rob Nelsen a freshman student organization senator, posted on Facebook after the results of the election were announced.

The other two student organization senators elected were Mia Baybayan and Austin Kernan.

The senator seat that brought in the second most amounts of votes was for the Argyros School of Business and Economics senate seat, which had two candidates, Emily Ekman, a freshman communication studies and business majors and James Hart, a junior accounting major, who ran unopposed for the two open seats.

Madison Dewey, a freshman kinesiology major, was unopposed in her race for sophomore class senator, yet still earned 168 votes.

Tyler Porterfield, a sophomore public relations and advertising major ran unopposed and was elected junior class senator with 149 votes.

There were three candidates for the two senator seats open for the College of Educational Studies. Sophomore integrated educational studies major, Amanda Moore had the majority of votes with 42 percent. Emily Miller, a sophomore integrated educational studies and English major won the second seat.

Grace Truex, a junior theatre performance major became the senator College of Performing Arts after an unopposed campaign.

Another unopposed candidate, Crystle-Joie Agbayani, a sophomore psychology major became the senator of Crean.

The two candidates running for a seat as senator of Dodge both were elected. Henry Callander, a freshman creative producing major with 61 percent of the votes and Annabell Liao, a sophomore creative producing major with the remaining 39 percent.

Three candidates ran for Schmid senator, and two were elected. The two elected were Jayethanjani Panakkadan, a sophomore math and biology major, and Tristan Tran, a sophomore biology and economics major, who won 41 percent and 32 percent of the vote, respectively.

The final positions that were elected were for Wilkinson senators. There were three candidates and two received seats.

The first Wilkinson senator will be Set Motamedi, a freshman philosophy major and the other will be Ryan Schindler, a freshman strategic and corporate communications major.

“Incredibly stoked to serve as an SGA Senator for the 2015-2016 school year,” Schindler wrote on Facebook. “A big shout out to everyone who helped me, and I can’t wait to get started.”

Senior class senator candidate, Morgan Goodelman, a junior biochemistry and molecular biology major dropped out earlier this week due to a conflict of scheduling between senate meetings and class said Chad Rabago, senior and director of elections.

The senior class seat will be filled in the fall 2015 elections.

Elected senators could not be reached for comment as of press time.

Leave a Comment