Senior driver Dor Apffel has scored 16 goals and assisted on 20 more for the Panthers this year, helping Chapman win nine games in a row.
1) When did you start playing water polo? Is water polo a popular sport is Israel?
I started to play when I was 8 years old. The sport is just about as popular in Israel as it is here.
2) What got you interested in learning the sport?
A few of my friends were playing it and I thought that I should give it a try. I’ve been playing ever since.
3) What is your favorite song to listen to pre-game?
I’m more of a person that likes to be calm and relaxed before games rather than pumped up. “Kashmir” by Led Zeppelin does the job.
4) If you could have anyone play you in a movie, whom would you pick?
I would pick Zach Galifianakis. I think that he’s hilarious and we kind of look alike.
5) You played in Tel Aviv, Israel before coming to play in the United States. What was that experience like, and how did it differ from playing here?
The main difference between Tel Aviv and the states is that Tel Aviv is a water polo club, which means that it’s very hard to combine (athletics) with schoolwork. While in the U.S. I can develop my water polo career without neglecting my academics.
6) How does general life in Israel compare to life in Orange, California?
Tel Aviv is a very fast-paced city that is extremely urban, crowded and highly competitive on many different levels. Compared to Israel, Orange is much more relaxed.
7) What is it about the team this year that sets it different from teams in the past?
I think that this year’s team is much more committed to our season and is playing and thinking on the same page by (efficiently) running our offensive and defensive systems, which is very important in playing water polo.